|« Back to calendar||« Previous Event | Next Event »|
posted by Friends Of Vernon Marsh
Here Are Final Instructions for Paddlers!
Saturday is our 2018 Canoe/Kayak Trip on the Fox River. The response has been amazing. We are expecting about 50 paddlers this year!
It's so rewarding to see so many people enjoying the Fox River. We do these trips to get people out into the Marsh as well as the watersheds around the Vernon Marsh. We're much more inclined to protect and treasure something we love and appreciate!
Please check the list below to make sure your name is on it if you are planning to join us. We don't want to leave anyone behind!
Here are all the final trip details. Please read carefully!
• Saturday, June 16, 2018 starting on the river at between 9:30 am and 10:00 am to approximately 1:00 pm.
• We will meet at the bridge over the Fox River on Hwy ES (National Ave) as you enter Mukwonago from the northeast starting at at 8:30 am. We hope to get on the river starting at between 09:30 am and 9:45 am.
• A map of the Put-In location is attached. The red star identifies the Put-In location and the red box identifies the car parking area.
• Important New Put-In Instructions: Please drive to the Put-In location on Hwy ES and park in the unloading area where you can find space. Unload your kayak or canoe and carry it (don't forget all your accessories) to the staging area near the river. Then, as soon as possible, please drive your car to the Shopping Center on the corner of Hwy ES and Hwy NN. We will shuttle you back to the Put-In area. We may have up to 38 watercraft at the river so it will be very busy and chaotic. We will launch DNR canoes first and Kayaks after that. Remember, this is not a race.
At End of Trip
• Important New Take-Out Instructions: We have arranged for a shuttle service to take you back to your car after the trip. At Big Bend Park, exit the river and carry your watercraft over to the parking area. The shuttle service will start running at 12:30 pm and will drive between Big Bend Park and the Shopping Center Parking Lot/Put-In spot for 3 hours. It's about an 18 mile round trip so the shuttle should run pretty often, but there could be a short wait. The shuttle will leave when it is full and return as soon as it can safely do so. It's first come first serve. Your patience is be greatly appreciated.
Your Canoe or Kayak
• All participants must wear a Life Vest, so if you have one please bring it. If you have a spare and wouldn't mind lending it please bring it along.
• All DNR canoes are accounted for. Please make sure your name is on the list below. Each DNR canoe will come with two paddles and two life vests. Please bring your own Life Vest if you have one, as sizes can sometimes be an issue.
• This year's trip will take us on the Fox River south of the Vernon Marsh from Mukwonago to Big Bend Village Park, approximately 7 miles. This is a very scenic route.
• The tour will not involve a portage, and will end at the take-out on Hwy L in Big Bend at Big Bend Park.
• This trip will take approximately 3 hours (approx. 7 miles) and will require mild to moderate physical activity in the form of paddling a kayak or canoe.
• We will collect litter as we casually paddle the river. If you have some spare bags please bring them or we will provide some bags but would appreciate it if you could bring some. Plastic grocery bags work well. Just tie your bag to your canoe or kayak and fill it up with anything you see that doesn't belong in the river. We'll collect your bags of litter at the end of the trip.
What To Bring
• Insect repellent
• Water bottle (very important)
• Hat with brim
• Sun glasses
• Energy bar(s) or snack
• Rain gear if necessary
• Water shoes or sneakers
• Small towel or sponge to dry things off, especially if using a Kayak
• Small dry pack or waterproof bag for keys, phone, snacks, etc.
Weather: Forecast is for very warm and humid weather. Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 90's inland. If things change and bad weather moves in its important to know that this trip will take place rain or shine, except if there is thunder and lightning or a downpour expected. Call Allen at the number below if you are unsure the trip's status.
Other Information: We will be asking participants to sign a liability waiver this year on the morning of the event.
Cost: This event is free, however, we would love it if would take this opportunity to renew your membership or consider becoming a member of Friends of Vernon Marsh. We will have brochures available. Cash or checks are OK. You can renew or join the day of the event or later if you wish. Family memberships are $30 and individual memberships are $20.
Thank you and looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!
Kim B & Jan B
Jan V & Darlene K
Mary K & Kathy R
Tom S & Son
Erin K & Family Members (2)
Catherine H & Carla
Tom S Brother & Family Member
Duke W & Friend
Will Use Own Canoe
Corey & Corey's Wife
Will Use Own Kayaks
Larry M's Friend
Misty A's Friend
Deanne F Friend
Amber's Family Member
Amber's Family Member
Amber's Family Member
Beth F Friend